Ciruculum Vitae for Nicholas Avenell
- 07909 547 990
Linux/Unix:Apache, MySQL, Bind, Nagios, Postfix, Exim, Sendmail, Leafnode, INN, Pound, Debian, Ubuntu, CVS, Building and maintaining server systems, Fault-finding, deep analysis and problem solving across familiar, unfamiliar and Erisian systems.
Languages:PHP, Perl, Python, (Java, C++)
Web Apps:PHPbb, Wordpress, PHPMyAdmin
Apple:Panther (10.3), Tiger (10.4), Fink, Photoshop, OSX Server
Microsoft:All versions of Windows from 2.0 though to Vista
Other Things:SMS Interfaces (Both sending and receiving), API development, API clients, Clients, Customers (Not an entirely comprehensive list)
I am Nicholas Avenell, I'm a System Administrator and Web Developer. As a Systems Administrator I prefer to work mostly with Debian and Ubuntu, but also have experience in other distributions, and have enough of a grounding in Unix based operating systems to find most things, and am able to provide useful, helpful and friendly desktop support. As a developer, I work primarily in Python and PHP developer primarily, but can also speak Perl and C/C++, and I am able to learn new languages fairly quickly. I have a good grounding in Object Orientated development. Examples of my work have previously been used by British Telecom, Nationwide, Yorkshire Bank, Standard Life, Abbey and others. I generally get along well with other people, but can work alone if necessary.
Evolving Media - Technical Developer (Special Projects) & Sysadmin
October 2004 – Current
Evolving Media is a web systems and marketing company based in Bedford.
- Redevelop and maintain EM's “MATS” Mortgage Application Management System, now used by 4 of the top ten mortgage lenders in the country, including Nationwide, Yorkshire Bank, Standard Life and three separate subsections of Abbey.
- Development of a business-critical, secure SMS gateway system for the sending of account balances over SMS as well as notifications for MATS
- Sourcing and researching server solutions for multi-server applications including future growth allowances and security concerns.
- Monitoring and maintenance (using variations of Whistleblower, Nagios and scripting) of EM's 30+ server network across three separate locations and operating platforms (OS X, OS 9 and Linux)
- Desktop Support for all employees (OS X, Linux and Windows XP)
- Maintenance and eventual deprecation of legacy email systems (EIMS on Mac OS 9) to a modern and open source solution based upon Debian Linux
- Introduction of source control (CVS) to development process.
- Support (including Out of hours support) for EM's diverse web systems for clients including Intent Media, Charles Wells, Barclays & Tescos
BrowserAngel – System Developer
July 2003 - October 2004
BrowserAngel was a classic “DotCom” style company, devoted to the creation of a social bookmarking/content recommendation engine.
- Developer for BrowserAngel's eponymous social content relation system
- Maintaining relationships with externally based contractors
- XML based IE toolbar update system
- AJAX-based user interface development to PHP/MySQL backend
- Construction and maintenance of development servers
- CVS repository management
- Installation and maintenance of customised Bugzilla-based bug management system
- Consulting with the design department on graphical, accessibility and usability issues
- Desktop support for network of Windows XP based machines, including SMB based document shares.
Freelance Web designer/coder
Jan 2003 - July 2003
Designing websites for clients, including an online collaborative role-playing system (PFD4), a Event/Performance Management system for a band, as well as developing my own Content Management System, Epistula.
Internet Designers Limited - Graphics Developer
Sept 2002-Dec 2002
- Contracted to IDL as a graphic designer for a series of PDA and Mobile Phone based Java games.
- Animation and optimisation of all graphical resources for multiple target platforms
- Development of graphical assets
- Testing and QA of final builds
- Maintenance of departmental network file systems to ensure no loss of assets.
- Consulting on accessibility issues for website
- Development of palm-top version of website
- Working within a large (20 person) team to co-ordinate goals and achieve deadlines
University of Sunderland 09/1999 – 07/2001 - HND Computing
This was a general computing course, modules included C++ and Java Development, Software Engineering, IT Environments (Unix, Networking), and project division and management.Langham Tower, Ryhope Road, Sunderland SR2 7EE • (0191) 515 2000
Mascalls School, Paddock Wood, Kent 1992-1999
A-Levels: AS Level Information Technology, A Level General Studies.
9 GCSEsMaidstone Road, Paddock Wood, Kent. TN12 6LT • (01892) 835366
I have a curse of being interested in almost everything, and so I do many things in my spare time, many of them involve writing, computer games, role-playing (including Live Action Role-Playing) and out of the ordinary board games. Also long walks on the beach, should I find any.
Available upon request.